Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bunch of Dimwits!

Haggai

The prophet Haggai is talking to the governor of Judah, and to Joshua, the son of the high priest. The temple of the Lord had been destroyed by the Babylonians. Now it was time to rebuild it. I guess the people of Judah were saying, "It's not time to build the Lord's house."

Haggai reminds them of the low estate they have put themselves into...
1:5-6 Now therefore thus said the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways. Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages [to put in] into a bag with holes.

In other words, "Hey you, Dimwits! The path you're headed down isn't working for you! Why not try obeying the Lord and quit putting it off!"

The spirits of these men that Haggai spoke with were stirred up and all the people, so they decided to build the house of the Lord.

At the end God reminds them of where they were before...the trials they endured and the troubles because of their disobedience. But He also promises that He with be with them and will conquer the kingdoms of the heathen if they continue to obey.

At first, I must admit, I get out my pointer finger and think of all THOSE PEOPLE who are SO stupid and keep bucking against the Lord and keep putting off doing right. I look at them and see their lives in ruin and waste and common sense wants to scream at them and say, "You Dimwit! Obviously the direction you are taking isn't working out so well! Why not live for the LORD!!" (Whew! That felt kinda good to get that off my chest!)

But I have really tried to not so much focus on what other people's faults are as I read the Bible this year, but to look inside myself. What sort of "dimwit" things am I doing? The people of Judah were "waiting" to obey, probably wanting for things to be convenient before they obeyed. Never gonna happen! I think of the times that I thought, "If I had my own little quiet spot and a nice comfy chair, I would pray more." Let me testify, that's not true. (I've played that game.) If I won't obey and do the things I know to do when it's not convenient; I won't do it when it is. "Oh, if I had lots of money, I could save it and get ahead." Nope! (I have since learned from that last one, and doing so much better thanks to the principles on money in Your Word.)

Excuse me while I stir myself up, "Bridgett, quit making excuses and do those things you know to do! Obey God. You know when you do it, it always makes things a lot easier! Pray more consistently, Bridgett. Obey the Holy Spirit right away when He prompts you to witness to someone. Shut your mouth when you have a negative thought in your head. Let encouraging words flow freely from your lips and quit being stingy with them."

Ahh... that felt good. The best part of it all, that when I obey Him---I get to enjoy His presence and blessing. And that feels soooooo much better than going my way and being on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment