Monday, July 13, 2009

1 Kings 10-11, 2 Chron 9

The queen of Sheba comes to Solomon's temple to see the greatness of the temple and to hear of Solomon's wisdom. She is greatly awed; Solomon doesn't hide anything from her, and he gave her all her desire. Perhaps this is the transition point that makes Solomon turn to strange women. His ego was stroked by the admiration of the queen of Sheba. Many other kings come to see his greatness and the things God bestowed to Solomon. Maybe he did, but I see no mention of Solomon giving glory to God. Not much longer he turns to the strange women and as the Bible says...

1 Kings 11:4
"For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father."

So sad...materialism can get the best of us. If I ever become blessed by God with riches...well I am blessed by God, but if it were to be monetarily--I would have to be careful that it doesn't become a curse. In fact, I must be careful of that now without great riches. I can get too comfortable in my "blessedness" that before I know it I've gradually made turns in the wrong direction that by the time I am old..."my heart is not perfect" God, I don't want that to be my testimony...the end of my life. That I had a good start, but my end meant getting Your blessing taken away from me.
Because of God's promise to David, He didn't take the kingdom away from Solomon, but He promised to take it from his Son. Perhaps that's the worst punishment. When our children have to reap what we have sown. Abba, please help me to be ever aware of when I stray. I don't want to lose out on not just Your blessing in my life, but Your favor...Your guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment