Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thyself Hast Decided It

1 Kings 20

Benhadad, king of Syria, has come up against Ahab, king of Israel. He take the best of what Ahab has---silver, gold, wives and children. Then Benhadad comes back and demands that he be allowed to come in and take whatever else he wants. Ahab refuses that and a war ensues. A prophet tells Ahab that he will deliver them into his hand "and thou shalt know that I am the LORD." They do defeat the army, but not Benhadad. He escapes and a year later Benhadad tries to defeat Israel again. Again Israel wins, but Benhadad escapes and hides.
An interesting turn to the story...the servant's of Benhadad say to him

20:31 "And his servants said unto him, Behold, we have heard that the kings of the house of Israel are mericul kings: let us, I pray the, put sackcloth on our loins, and ropes upon our heads, and go out to the king of Israel: peradventure he will save thy life."

As expected, Ahab does extends mercy to Benhadad and makes a covenant with him and sends him away.
In the next verse it describes a son of the prophets asking neighbors to smite him "in the word of the Lord". One disobeys, and a lion kills him for not obeying God's word. Another obeys and smites him to wound him. This wounded prophet disguised waits for king Ahab and tells him a story about how he was commanded to keep a man and not let him go missing and if he did his life would be required for his. The prophet explains that he was busy here and there, and the man went missing. Ahab responds,

20:40 " so shall thy judgment be; thyself hast decided it."

Of course this was all a story to symbolize what Ahab had done. The prophet says..

20:42 And he said unto him, Thus said the LORD, because thous hast let go out of thy hand a man whom I appointed to utter destruction therefore thy life shall go for his life, and thy people for his people.

Observations from this story..
1. God was still willing to fight for Israel, in fact He was still wanting to show Himself to King Ahab although he was a wicked king.
2. Being merciful isn't admirable if it requires me being disobedient.
3. Allowing a small percentage of a battle unwon sometimes causes the whole war to be lost. Abba, what one little area in my life do I keep "letting go out of my hand" that could lead to my destruction? It's often those "pesky" little sins that lead to major destruction later. Help me, as that one song says to "Nip it in the bud." I especially pray for this in my marriage. I know little seeds of bitterness, dishonesty, unfaithfulness can lead to great destruction. Help me to be careful of the relationships/ conversations I have with other men. Help me to forgive quickly and love often. Those words Ahab said really describe it when I choose not to obey completely "so thy judgment be; thyself hast decided it."

No comments:

Post a Comment