Friday, July 24, 2009

Not for Sale

1 Kings 21

Naboth's Vineyard...King Ahab comes to Naboth demanding that he sell his vineyard to him or be willing to trade it for another one better. Naboth refuses because it's a vineyard that was passed down from his family. Ahab mopes like a jealous spoiled child at home to his wife, Jezebel. Jezebel arranges to have Naboth stoned and killed so Ahab can have the vineyard. Because of this Elijah comes to Ahab with a message from God; here's the conversation:

21:20-23 And Ahab said unto Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found theee: because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the LORD. Behold I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel...and of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel."

I love that..."O mine enemy"...that shows that Elijah wasn't afraid to tell the truth to anyone, even the king.

As I read this story, I am reminded of a sermon from Bro. Hyles. I call recall him chanting "You can't have it; my father gave it to me! You can't have it! My father gave it to me!" His sermon related to how there are those who are trying to take our Bible, the King James Version, away from us. Trying to give us a "better" version. But just as Naboth was determined not to sell out; so should we have the same stance toward our precious KJV.
Of course, I can relate this to anything that is not for sale---my LORD, my values, my morals, my principles, my family, etc. Though Naboth died for his stance, he went out a hero in my eyes. He believed and stood for something. Help me to do the same, Abba.

After Elijah's declaration, we find Ahab actually humbled himself and God promises...

21:29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.
This reminds me, God, of how You are no respector of persons. All you require after we sin or even do evil in this case is that we humble ourselves. You could have refused Ahab humilty seeing what a wicked king he was, but you still extended the same mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment