Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cleaving & Judging Motives

Joshua 19-24
21:44
And the LORD gave them rest round about, according to all that he sware unto their fathers: and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them; the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand.
21:45
There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass.


Proof that God keeps His promises.

22:5
But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.


God doesn't just want me to love Him and obey Him, He wants me to cleave unto Him. Cleaving--makes me picture like Linus is with His blanket. Inseparable. Or I picture that small oppossum clutched to it's mother's back. I need to strongly lean on the Lord. Consider Him in all my actions. Take Him wherever I go.

Chapter 22 explains an interesting story I have never noticed. The children of Gad and Reuben are told to go and take their possessions on the other side of Jordan and to bring them back and divide the spoil of their enemies with the rest of the children of Israel. On their way there, they stop and make an altar to the Lord. Upon hearing this, the rest of the Israelittes become angry and are ready for war. The confront them about it. Turns out the rest of the Israelittes had immediately judged their motives as wrong (what they suspected, I'm not sure) but the point I get from the story. I am not the judge of people and certainly I do not need to try and suspect people's motives. They may be purely innocent in them, but I am quick to judge them as wrong and if I am not careful I can react to my suspected motives rather than finding the whole truth and their side of the story first.

23:8
But cleave unto the LORD your God, as ye have done unto this day


There it is again, cleave.

No comments:

Post a Comment