Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7, 2009

Numbers 33-Deut 4

I was trying to catch up on my Bible reading (got a little behind back in February), so I covered quite a bit of chapters.

Deut 1-4. Here the Israellites are now down to their final days of their journey. Moses is recounting all they went through to get to where they are right now. Reminding them of how they fought their enemies and how God was with them. Remembering God's judgment on those that didn't believe in Him. At the end, Moses encourages them to...

4:9
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;


They had just finished an incredible journey. God had taught them some amazing lessons during it. What a shame it would be to forget them. But the duty is to not only remember, but remember well enough to teach it to the generation behind them.
A great promise is given to the Israellites

4:29-31
But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find [him], if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, [even] in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; (For the LORD thy God [is] a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

God will be with them if they just allow Him to be.

Observations:
I've heard before that Canaanland is a picture of God's Will in one's life. All the journeying beforehand is preparing you for what's there. I'm married now and doing what I believe is God's will for my life by being a helpmeet to Jon in our business and at home, too. :) I still believe, though, that God has even more in store for our family. Although I don't know the exact time span as the children of Israel did, I do know that God has taught me many things through my life already. His daily provision for me...learning to trust in Him in hard times...His miraculous hand in near death situations...His judgment on those who have turned away...His molding me into what I need to be...My learning to trust His timing. Abba, help me never to forget...but remember and teach them to my children and my children's children. Enjoy the journey...keep my eyes open...the destination is not the complete reward---the lessons learned along the way are some of the greatest rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment