Friday, April 3, 2009

April 3, 2009

Numbers 21-22

Here are the Israellites overcome by enemies again. Arad, king of Cannan, is ticked off that they sent spies into his land. They ask for the Lord's help, and as always, He steps into help. It wasn't but two verses later, though, that this happened...

21:4-5
And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for [there is] no bread, neither [is there any] water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.


There's that bellyaching again! Will they ever learn? Makes God mad of course and the fiery serpents are sent down to bite the people, but God has Moses takes a brass serpent, and if they will but look to it, they will be healed, a picture of Christ in the New Testament. If we but look to Him, our death sentence of sin will be healed.

Now the Israellites are on a warpath destroying their enemies left and right. Balak, king of Moab hears they are coming his way, so he summons Baalam to help him by telling him to curse the Israellites. He invites the princes sent by Balak in, and he listens to their plea. The Lord, obviously tells him that they are blessed and not to curse them. But for some reason, Baalam says this to the princes, but still invites them to stay another night to see if God has anything else to say. God realizes Baalam is not going to listen and tells him to go with the princes, but to do exactly as God tells him to do. He rides on his trusty ass to Balak. The ass sees the angel of the Lord in the way and tries to avoid him 3 times resulting in Baalam becoming angry and smiting him 3 times. Miraculously, God makes the donkey speak and says... (LOL, I love this part, especially when Balaam talks back and acts as if it is nothing to talk back to a donkey)

22:28-30
And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times? And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee. And the ass said unto Balaam, [Am] not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since [I was] thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.


It's then that God opens Balaam's eyes to see the same angel of the Lord who reminds Balaam again to do as the Lord says.

My thoughts:
1. God is still greatly urked by complaining. The Israellites were constantly in the vicious cycle...God does a miracle...they forget about it....they start sinning and complaining....God sends His judgment....they ask for mercy or God does a miracle....they soon forget....etc. I know I have done my share of complaining in my life, but I see this same cycle in my besetting sin. Lord, help me to break the cycle. What would someone say about me if they were reading about my life?
2. The brass serpent...I wonder how many didn't look at the serpent. I wonder how many said..."That's too easy, there's no way that will save my life." And they died pointlessly. Sadly, many view salvation the same way....just look to Jesus. "It can't be that easy," they say, but yet it is.
3. Baalam and his stubborness. I just considered how ironic it is that he was riding on an ass which is known for its stubborness as well. I don't know what Baalam wanted to do. He must have wanted all those riches promised by the king of Moab, but he also knew it was wrong to curse the Israellites. He kept waiting for God to change His mind when it was obvious by what God told him first of all...

22:12
And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they [are] blessed.


Baalam even has the tenacity to say to them when they come back trying to convince him again to go..

22:18
And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak, If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more.


But yet he still invites them to linger around to see what else God might say. God didn't give Baalam a to be continued plan. His will was obvious. Yet God lets him do what he wants and makes a plan B. How many times am I just as stubborn as Baalam. God has told me specifically what to do in His word, and I still "pray" about it. And even when I still go in the direction against that, He makes an alternate plan---yes, I get kicked and shamed when a younger Christian notices what's right more than I do. I'm too blinded by my stubborness. Abba, help me to do Your Perfect will first, and not to wait for an "adjusted" will because of my stubborness.

No comments:

Post a Comment