Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April 8, 2009

Deut 5-7

Moses is still speaking with the children of Israel. He repeats to them the ten commandments. One of them that I noticed something special...

5:16
Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.


This is the only commandment that gives a promise of blessing to those that follow it. Others are just stated and/or given the reprocussions if disobeyed.

Observation:
This day in age, sadly, moms and dads are degregated and disrespected. Rebellion is a "stage of life" and accepted. But the commandment says to do more than respect...to honor. Obedience is the first step, respect the second, honor the third. True, parents, don't deserve the honor many times, but that's not the question. Honor---to glorify them. Even when I get frustrated with my mom. Help me to honor her still as an adult. Help me to find ways to lift her up. My days will be prolonged and things will go well with me. I feel I've been pretty good at this, but this was a good reminder to help me to put it back into practice more fervently.

I noticed in Deut 5 & 6; the word "do" is mentioned often. God gave the commandments, statues, etc, so the Israellites would DO them.

Observation:
What good is knowledge if is not put into practice. Much more, you cannot instruct those behind you if you have not done it yourself. I am a much better teacher when I have put into practice what I'm teaching.

Deut 7
Following God seems like no-brainer---

Deu 7:12-15
Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers: And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee. Thou shalt be blessed above all people: there shall not be male or female barren among you, or among your cattle. And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all [them] that hate thee.


All the blessing in store...the evils bypassed! Oh the benefits! Why wouldn't I want to serve God and keep His commandments? But it seems that is not enough. I must also be made aware of what happens if I chose not to obey...

Deu 7:10
And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.


Observations:
God doesn't play games. I'm either for Him or against Him. This is another reminder of God's amazing attributes...mercy and grace. He not only will spare me from what I deserve but will give me in abundance what I don't deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment