Monday, August 17, 2009

The Bible & Vegetables...Worrying

Isaiah 13-27

Hmmmm...I am confessing my sinfulness; oh how I find little interest in the majority of the book of Isaiah. It's so over my head. Honestly, I am reading through it semi-searching for something, but also just wanting to get through it. It's like that helping of vegetables on your plate. It's not the tastiest thing on the plate, but you know it's good for you and you need it.
So maybe that's part of my lesson. The task of "tasting" all the Bible. But I am grateful that there are a few nuggets here and there that are bursting with "flavor".

Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.

I've memorized verse 3 in the past. How true and good it is. When I get overwhelmed with doubts and worry about this or that, I have to chant this verse to myself. My worry is only proof that I am not trusting in God.
I've never much paid attention to the following verse. Trust in the LORD FOREVER. For ever...that's a long time. :) But how it shows how much I trust in You, LORD. You are everlasting strength. I must be willing to admit myself weak, though, before I can submit and benefit from Your strength.
So, Lord, I cast my burdens upon You today. You know exactly what we should do about the financial matter I was worrying about last night. You have taken care of us already in the past; it seems foolish not to continue to trust in You. Help us to do the right thing, make the right decisions based on Your truth and not our convenience. I love You, Abba, forgive me for worrying and not taking advantage of Your perfect peace by keeping my mind stayed on You.

1 comment:

  1. i love the book of isaiah and i especially love those two verses that you have pointed out! enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete