Thursday, August 13, 2009

What Doth the Lord Require of Thee?

2 Chron 27

27:2 And he (Jotham) did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father Uzziah did: howbeit he entered not into the temple of the LORD. And the people did yet corruptly.

This verse makes me think of how often as a Christian I'm guilty of not doing things ALL the way.

27:6 So Jotham became mighty, because he prepared his ways before the LORD his God.

Goodness! God is so patient with us. Even if we are willing to put God first in only one area of our life, He is willing to bless us.

Isaiah 9-11?, Micah 1-7

I must admit...I get a little lost and confused in the books of prophesy sometimes, but I did find this nugget..

Micah is asking...what shall I bring before a high God...huge offerings? rivers of oil? give my firstborn or the fruit of my body for sin?

6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

To do justly---not fairly. I think that our country has forgotten this principle. Everyone deserves the consequence or the reward of his own personal action---fairness says everyone gets the same thing no matter what. Everyone gets a trophy or everyone gets punished in the class because one person did wrong.

To love mercy---ouch! That's a hard one! Oh, it's easy to love the mercy that others extend to me, but to love mercy so much that I extend it to others?

To walk humbly with thy God---With--that's an important word. I think You love it, God, when I walk WITH You. I think of how friends walk together, side by side. Even a father and child, side by side. Humbly beside You realizing how great You truly are, but enjoying Your presence throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment