Thursday, August 20, 2009

Playing the Harlot

Hosea

I get so mad at Israel for making the LORD so sad and angry! How could they turn their back on God and play the harlot by worshipping other gods instead of Him? How could they not fail to see the goodness of God and choose Him after all the miracles He had done for them.
They tried to cover up their sin with good works, burnt sacrifices, and such but God knew their hearts--it was all a facade. He knew the truth. In fact, it made Him sick that they would act like nothing was wrong with their lifestyles.
I see America as an adulterous Israel nowadays. We forget what You have done. We forget the Biblical foundation that was laid in creating this nation. We love our gods of materialism, humanism, & entertainment. We're self-centered and vain. Our number one priority is ourselves. Adultery is commonplace and a mockery. We no longer see our sin as sin. We go on doing our "good works" while You're up in heaven puking at the repulsiveness of its phoniness.
This verse stood out to me...

6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Why would God desire mercy? What does He need to be forgiven of? Nothing. He desires to see me show mercy to others. Mercy is a sign that I care about others; it's not about me. Sacrifice can be an outward show of what I'm willing to "give up" and sometimes can cause the focus to be on me. That's why I think He says the same about the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Sacrifices/ offerings are outward displays. Mercy/ knowledge of God are inward.
Abba, I know I probably sound redundant at times, but please help me to keep the inward clean. Keep it real. I know You despise fakes--I don't want to be that. Forgive me, Lord. Help me to constantly be focused on You throughout the ENTIRE day not just for my morning devotion time but continually. I want to know You. I want You to be a part of every aspect and decision of my life. Help me to notice and acknowlege Your convinction and to be willing to change. I love you, Abba. Thank You for always being so patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment