Wednesday, August 12, 2009

God's Emotions

Amos 6-9
The entire book of Amos is about the prophesy of Israel's destruction. As I read through the verses, I see the variety of God's emotions about His children, Israel. He is so grieved by them. Grieved that they turn from Him continually--that they trust in things/men rather than Him. I also find God angry--angry at their two-facedness. He abhors their songs, their offerings, their oblations. It's all vanity---an outward show but no substance inside. He's had it! It wasn't that they weren't "religious" enough. They were doing all the usual traditions, the motions of religion, but their heart was turned away from Him. He prophesies through Amos that He will destroy all of Israel save a remnant as He promised to build the land again.

This time in history makes me reflect on a few things...
1. I am made in Your image. I have and go through the same emotions You do. Having emotions is not wrong, but being controlled by them is. It was not Your anger or grief that made You decide to destroy Israel, but their actions.

2. You despise fakes. Abba, I feel Your pain. LOL It's bad enough someone does wrong, but it's even worse when they try to cover it up with "good" and act as though they've never done anything wrong at all. I think of that verse...
Proverbs 28:13 "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper; but whoso that confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy."
When I've done wrong, I need to admit it, forsake it, and not try to "cover it up" with ritualistic religious practices.

Abba, I think the worse thing would be for You to turn Your back from me---for You to refuse to even hear my prayers. Create in me a clean heart, O God. When my heart is clean and pure before You, I know that pleases You more than anything! I love You, Abba! Thank You for saving me 16 years ago today!!! I am so blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment