Friday, June 12, 2009

Justice Not Fairness

1 Samuel 19-21

Absalom has been killed by Joab, and David mourns for him. In my opinion, I think he waited too late to let Absalom know how important he was to him. For over what...20 years, I think. He avoided him. A little too late, David. Joab, one of David's captains, becomes quite upset with David because he's sad that Absalom is dead and is upset that they got the victory. I see here David kinda going through a depression. I see this in others lives often. They become passive about incidents in their lives, as David did, and then when grief comes it overwhelms them--not wanting to deal with problems on the immediate timing, but then lose it when it all falls apart. I don't know maybe I am judging David a little too hard. Not my place to judge, I guess.
After Joab ranting at David, I must confess that I am thoroughly confused at the incidents following....going after king of Sheba, Amasa, and old wise women....I tried to read it slowly and I still didn't understand what was going on.

In Samuel 21, though, it explains about a famine that happened in David's time. God explains that it is because of Saul's disobedience in killing the Gibeonites. David comes to the remaining Gibeonites and asks them what can be done to appease them for what Saul had done. They don't want gold or silver; they want the sons or grandsons of Saul that are living. David promises to send them over. Seven men are killed by the Gibeonites.
I don't know what to think of this....hmmm....when I sin,others often have to pay for my sins, too. The consequences don't just fall to me. I think of the legacy Saul left behind. Sometimes when people pass on their greatness is remembered and continued, instead remorse and punishment is left behind of Saul. What an awful inheritance to gain. "Your dad, grandad disobeyed God and now we're going to kill you." I guess some would think that is unfair. But it's justice. Justice isn't about fairness...it's about equating actions with the consequences. It's a natural law of nature as well. If I chose to poison my garden with harsh chemicals, not only do I lose out on my harvest, but I destroy the potential harvest of those who wish to plant after me. The only way to make it better is to completely tear up the ground and put down fresh dirt. This makes me think of what Jesus did for my salvation. I was ruined. I was fully deserving of justice, but He took the punishment. In His doing so, he ripped up the ruined ground in my heart and put a new start there. Thank you, Jesus. You are sooooooooooooo good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment