Monday, June 15, 2009

Permanent Decisions Effects

2 Sam 24, 1 Chron 21

24:1
And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

21:1
And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
21:2
And David said to Joab and to the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel from Beersheba even to Dan; and bring the number of them to me, that I may know [it].
21:3
And Joab answered, The LORD make his people an hundred times so many more as they [be]: but, my lord the king, [are] they not all my lord's servants? why then doth my lord require this thing? why will he be a cause of trespass to Israel?


It seems these verses are contradicting themselves in a way. Did Satan provoke him or God...that "he" in 1 Samuel is a little confusing. Anyway, obviously God didn't want him to number Israel, Joab knew this and warned David, too. But whatever the case, David is reacting to his emotions, rather than what he knew was right. The people suffered because of it. The prophet Gad told him he would have to choose between three curses: 7 yrs of famine, 3 months fleeing from enemies, or 3 days of pestilence. David chooses the pestilence. I don't think he realized that 70,000 men would die as a result and more could have died if he had not cried to God and built an altar.
This is another wake up call reminding me that my sins hurt more than just me. When I act out of emotions and do wrong, it may seem good on the temporary but the long term effects hurt me and others badly. Help me, Lord, to stop and think when I am angry, grieved, upset, or whatever emotion is overwhelming me--to not react, but have a plan to do what I know is right.
I remember a quote, "Don't sacrifice the permanent on the altar of the immediate." Good admonition.

1 Chron 22
Here David changes gears. He is now preparing for the permanent. Though he cannot build a temple for God, he makes preparations for his Solomon to do so. This is a mark of greatness...when you prepare for those who come behind you and not just looking out for yourself and what's happening in your lifetime.
So Lord after reading these passages, I realize that every decision should be made with the future in mind. The future of not only myself, but the future of those that follow behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment