Sunday, May 3, 2009

Leaning on God, not man

1 Sam 4-8

The ark of God has been taken and then returned. Samuel's sons are wicked, and the people want a king instead of God to rule over them. The words that struck me were...."that he may fight for us." Truly I can't imagine how this grieved your heart, God. Here they were so willing to give up the privilege of taking things to you. They gave up freedom, though hard at times for bondage. They wanted to be like other nations that had kings rather than lean on You.

I see our nation much like this today. Rather than trust in the Lord they trust in the government to take care of them. The king rule became the demise of Israel, and so it will be our demise in America.

Now for my personal application. I think you are teaching me that it is just as wrong for me to have my leaders go to You for me. I have the great opportunity and privilege to beseech you myself. Leaders are necessary, a picture of You, but they are not to be substituted for You. I remember as a senior in college, I went to Dr. Schaap, so he could help me decide what I needed to do with my future after graduating. Actually I didn't want him to "help me", I wanted him to tell me. After explaining the circumstances, he looked at me and said "I can't tell you what God's will is for your life." Though I left frustrated that day, I learned a great lesson. Instead of beseeching You and asking for Your help, I was leaning on a man of God to tell me what You want. I could have taken the time and asked You myself. Though, I do now go to leaders to get their insight, I have learned to go to You for my final decision. Nothing is quite as satisfying as knowing I am doing exactly what God wants me to do and has told ME to do personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment