Thursday, May 14, 2009

Abba,

I was thinking this morning as I was reading...what do I need to help me today? What trials am I facing that I need something from You. Our house situation....Lord, we have tried to hold up our end of the bargain in every way possible. We have tried to be patient and kind to those involved. Lord, we need your wisdom there. You are obviously closing a lot of doors, please open up the right one, so we know which path to take...DIRECTION...that's what I need. My family drama...I am not having anyone attack me personally, but I am caught in the middle of the mess. Help me to know how to treat my mom, my brother, and my sisters. DISCRETION...that's what I need.

1 Samuel 25-27

Nabal, a son of Belial, a wicked hard man that only cared about his possesions. Nabal's wife, Abigail, understood he was a jerk, but was used by God to keep David from avenging himself. David had done so well at keeping from avenging himself from Saul, but I am sure eventually he got fed up with another person being a jerk to him. He felt it was time for some vengence. Luckily, or actually by God's sovereignty Abigail intervened and reminded him that God would fight his battles. Nabal ends up dying of a heart attack or stroke. David is then thankful that he didn't do "evil" and kill Nabal himself.
In Chapter 26, David faces Saul again. He had another opportunity to kill him, to avenge himself. David vows again to not touch the Lord's anointed. After realizing David spared his life, Saul again recognizes David's greatness.
David flees to Gath and Saul finally decides to not seek him anymore. Now David is in Ziklag.

I don't know how these stories personally apply to me today, but I am learning some principles to ingrain for the future.
1. Let God defend me when I am personally attacked. If I am in the right, He will avenge. Maybe this is what you are teaching us through the house, God we would like to avenge and certainly not kill anyone, but we feel like we have done everything right, and we've been done so wrong. Abba, please avenge us of a bad deal. :)
2. Abigail did right despite her husband's bad behavior. She became blessed by that later. God had her in that position for a reason.
3. David did good by helping Saul not to do evil. He fled the situation instead of continuing in the chase of it. When someone is trying to do me harm, avoid them.

No comments:

Post a Comment