Friday, May 8, 2009

Fighting God's Battles

1 Samuel 17

I have read and heard countless sermons from this passage---David and Goliath. I asked the Lord to show me something from the story I hadn't noticed, heard before, or something that I just needed today.

I noticed how David's brother, Eliab, treated him...

17:28
And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spake unto the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why camest thou down hither? and with whom hast thou left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle.
17:29
And David said, What have I now done? [Is there] not a cause?


Though not as famous as the battle against Goliath, this was David's first battle. From within. Eliab's pride was hurt because here he had heard the rantings and ravings of Goliath for 40 days and had not done anything about it, and here David comes having just been there shortly claiming that he can win the victory. I would think that they would be glad that they found a willing servant, but instead I find this of critical people when I decide to fight for something.
1. They question your motives.
2. They automatically play the double standard game. They feel they should question other areas of your life.
3. They assume your motives are self-righteous just like theirs ours.
4. They feel like if they criticize you, it will excuse them of their responsibility to do the right thing that you're willing to do.

I have faced criticism in my family, in fact, from my older brother. We were both in the same "battle" at one point, and when I wanted to stand and continue on, instead of encouraging he would nit pick another area. Sadly, it's often those that you are in the "battle" with that criticize you the most. Expect that. I notice the Bible doesn't say anything about David responding and criticizing Eliab personally. Rather, he continues his focus to the real battle at hand. So must I.

I love seeing David's courage and extreme confidence...

17:46-47
This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee.....And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle [is] the LORD'S, and he will give you into our hands.


Will, will, will. David was confident that God would be not only with him, but that He would defeat Goliath with him. I noticed that David said..."and take thine head," later another verse says "but [there was] no sword in the hand of David." David made this bold statement even when he had no sword in his hand! Perhaps he was staring looking at Goliath and saw his sword and was picturing that he would be the one using it. What courage!

Of course, I don't fight any literal "giants", but the cause for standing and fighting for right still exists. I consider these thoughts.
1. Anyone who defies God should be fought against.
2. Remaining silent to someone defying God will not win the battle.
3. Those that don't defy God, but aren't willing to fight will criticize those who are.
4. Remaining silent to those critics is the answer to that battle because they are not defying God, but rather defying my personal character. My continued actions for right will defend that.
5. Be confident that God will not only be with me in the battle when I defend Him but He will also defeat the enemy.
6. Expect God to use unconvential methods to fight His battles. (Just like He uses unconventional people. :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment