Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Vicious Circle of Vengeance

2 Samuel 1-4

It seems as though so many are trying to impress David by avenging his enemies. David really had a soft heart and remembered people for who they were and even trusted that they had changed when they said.
It seems David was so misunderstood. His friends felt like they were helping him when they took part in killing Saul, Saul's family, or his men. Joab killed Abner thinking he was doing him a favor. And to try and gain favor with David, two of Saul's sons kill their oldest brother.
It seems that when we get our minds focused on vengeance and vindication, our judgment becomes skewed, and we feel what we're doing "wrong" to make vengeance come about is justified.
Abba, please help the root of bitterness to never take root in my soul. To never let the attitude of vengeance for me or my family to take hold of my mind. It seems when I or anyone is guilty of this is only becomes a vicious circle that never ends.

Pro 19:22
The desire of a man [is] his kindness: and a poor man [is] better than a liar.

I love this verse. It reminds me to always be kind--that's what draws people to you, not sarcastic cutting remarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment