Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Am I a Witch?

1 Samuel 16

Another example of Saul doing right wrongly. This is the famous passage where he is told to kill all the Amalekites. Everthing, the king, men, women, children, sheep, every animal. Instead Saul choose to take Agag as a captive and save the best sheep, oxen, etc for a sacrifice. God is not impressed.

15:11
It repenteth me that I have set up Saul [to be] king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.


Wow, those are some tough words. Here Saul is trying to do right, well just do it in his own way. Sure God told him to kill everything, but that didn't make sense. Surely, God wouldn't want the best to go to waste? So Saul felt he had obeyed...

15:13
And Samuel came to Saul: and Saul said unto him, Blessed [be] thou of the LORD: I have performed the commandment of the LORD.


How prideful Saul was to think that half obedience was full obedience. But Saul felt the end justified the means. When he realized he had been found out, he even blames the people instead of taking responsibility. Samuel had some harsh words for Saul.

15:22
And Samuel said, Hath the LORD [as great] delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey [is] better than sacrifice, [and] to hearken than the fat of rams.
15:23
For rebellion [is as] the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness [is as] iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from [being] king.


Wait a minute, Saul wasn't summoning evil spirits, performing Satanic rituals, or doing anything we would feel is great disobedience. In fact, he did MOST of what God wanted. Witchcraft? The sin here....some obedience isn't obedience at all. Saul was guilty of "doing what was right in his own eyes." When I obey I don't completely understand, shows God that I trust Him. He loves trust, because that's what obedience is...saying "I trust you know what's right for me to do." instead of showing great sacrifice to God.

There was a consequence for Saul's disobedience. He could no longer be king. Sin always has consequences. Yes, sin can be forgiven, but the consequences still remain.

I think of how the sin of disobedience applies in my life today. I can be a great servant to others and help them out, but if I slack on my duties as a wife to do so or have an unsubmissive spirit to my husband...I'm am just as guilty as a witch. Half obedience? That's an oxymoron. Can't be. Lord, reveal to me today what I am "half obeying" You about.

There's so much good stuff in the three chapters from today's Bible reading that I must break it up into a few days.

1 comment: